Saturday, September 3, 2011

From Paris with Love

Starring: John Travolta, Jonathan Rhys Meyers
Directed by: Pierre Morel
Rating: I Really Liked It

This is the first action movie I've seen in a long time that I really, really enjoyed.  It had all the parts that make a good action flick.  

1. Travolta and Meyers play against each other very well.  Travolta plays the cocky, get it done, crazy agent, while Meyers is more reserved and thoughtful.  They are as good a pair as Mel Gibson and Danny Glover or Nick Nolte and Eddie Murphy.  

2. It's starts strong and doesn't let up.  So many "action" movies that come out today are weak in the action department.  We get too much story - that's right, too much story - and not enough blowing stuff up.  Don't get me wrong, I love movies that make me think, but don't try to be two things at once unless you're sure you can pull it off.  

3. There are shock moments.  There's never a moment where I had to stop the movie - like I did when watching Inception - and really think about what was going on, but there were plenty of moments when I had to make sure what I think just happened actually happened.  Travolta's character definitely pulled some moves I wasn't expecting.  

I guess those are really the main parts.  Here's a brief synopsis: one agent wants to be a better, more highly ranked agent; so, he get's paired up with crazy, loose cannon agent.  Destruction and schooling begin!  That'll about do it.  

I highly recommend this one, and I didn't even really think I was going to enjoy it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment