Saturday, December 10, 2011

I Love You, Man

Starring: Paul Rudd, Jason Segel
Directed by: John Hamburg
Rating: An Adam Favorite

I've been writing these reviews since April of this year, and I can't believe I haven't covered this movie!  This is by far one of my top ten favorites of all time.  The quirky humor and somewhat indie feel it has are great.  It doesn't have a lot of explosions or gross out moments or any of the things most movies have today.  There aren't any big CGI moments.  It's just a good story, with funny dialogue and situations mixed with great comedic acting.  

Again, I think that casting is what it's all about.  Everyone in this movie just slips into their role like it's nothing.  It's like they're wearing their own skin.  Maybe that's because to some extent they really are, but not completely.  

The story is essentially about a guy who has no guy friends that's getting married and needs to find a best friend.  He meets several potentials and forms a great friendship with one of them.  It doesn't get much simpler than that; it's as basic a synopsis as I can give you.  

The Good: 

  • Casting is such a big thing with me.  Segel and Rudd play off each other so well.  Other parts are very important, too.  JK Simmons, Jon Favreau, Andy Samberg, Thomas Lennon...the list of great actors and actresses goes on and on...
  • The first thing I ever saw JK Simmons in was probably Spider-Man.  He played the editor of the Daily Bugle: J. Jonah Jameson.  He was possibly the best thing in that movie.  He also had a recurring role in the "Law & Order" universe as court psychiatrist Emile Skoda.  He's a great character actor.  He's also one of my favorite pieces of this film as well.  
  • As I mentioned above, the humor in this isn't really crude like it is in a lot of movies.  The humor here is more about awkward situations than anything else, and Rudd does that very well.  
  • I love seeing Lou Ferringo play himself and Segel's character calling him Hulk.  
  • I could list moment after moment, but I won't...
  • Rush's inclusion in the movie = Awesome!
The Bad: 
  • As with a lot of my favorites, this is hard; however, I'm not a big fan of the Rashina Jones.  She plays Rudd's fiance.  She's an alright actress, but I didn't get the laid back flow from her I did everyone else, and it wasn't because her character was designed that way.  
  • I wish they had played more the mystery of Sydney's (Segel) house.  He and Peter (Rudd) spend a lot of their time in his garage that has been turned into a "man cave".  He never lets Pete in the house, but never explains why.  I felt like their should have been some dead bodies in there or something.  Maybe I'm thinking about it too much.  
The Ugly: 
  • I really don't have anything for this.  There wasn't anything in the movie that made me wish it hadn't been included.  
Here's the trailer like I regularly include...


and this video will give you a definite feel for the movie.  



No comments:

Post a Comment