Saturday, June 9, 2012

Snow White & The Huntsman

Starring: Kristen Stewart, Chris Hemsworth, Charlize Theron
Directed by: Rupert Sanders
Rating: I Hated It

I had absolutely no intention of going to see this, but a friend of mine wanted to go, and she talked me into going along.  I convinced her to pay for it due to the fact that I didn't want to be there anyway.  After the movie, I told her I was glad I didn't pay for it.  Her response was, "I wish I hadn't".

I can't write a blog about all of the things that were wrong with this movie.  It would take too long to write, and it would be far too long for any one person to want to read.  I'm not sure the internet is big enough to hold a blog long enough to contain all the things that were wrong with this movie.  With that in mind, I'm going to limit this to the things that bothered me most.

If you don't know the story line here, you're doing something wrong.  A beautiful princess is put in danger when an evil queen sets out to destroy her so that she may remain the "fairest in the land".  That's the basic Snow White premise.  I'm not all that familiar with the original story or how close this telling comes to it.  I imagine not all that close.  Surely the original story had to be better than this to survive as long as it has.

The Good:

  • Hemsworth was good.  He wasn't great or awesome enough to save the movie, but he was good.  He was solid in his role and did a good job making you understand his character.  The script did send him in slightly over-the-top directions at times, though it did this with the entire cast, but he held up well.  
  • The place where the group encounters the fairies (I can't remember what they called it) and the dark forest were both really cool environments.  Whoever was in charge of making the look like something straight out of the craziest imagination did a great job with it.  
The Bad: 
  • Stewart wasn't as bad as I was expecting, that is to say, she wasn't awful, but she wasn't good either.  The part that bothered me most was that she was supposed to be "the fairest in the land" when paired against Theron.  Whose genius idea was that?  There's no contest there.  Theron wins.  
  • As I mentioned above, the script had the cast set to over-the-top acting on more than one occasion.  I understand that it's a fairy tale, but still...  Particularly, Sam Spruell and Theron over did it a bit in a few spots.  If this had been an animated film, it would've been spot on for this level of drama but still wrong in so many ways.   
  • The mirror is a big gold disc that comes to life in a human-like form when spoken to by Ravenna (Theron).  That was weird, too.  
  • In general, there were lots of strange things in this movie that just felt stranger for the sake of being strange.  It was almost like they were trying to capture a del Torro feel, a la Pan's Labyrinth and failed miserably.  
The Ugly: 
  • It was just plain creepy to see faces like Nick Frost, Ian McShane and Toby Jones superimposed on the bodies of little people.  Why not just get actors who are little people to play the parts?  This was one of the strangest things I've seen in a movie in a while, again unnecessarily strange.
  • The scene with the troll battle seemed really, really, extremely out of place.  I don't know why exactly, and I even understand that they were attempting to show us something about Snow White (Stewart), but it just felt, well, strange.  Do we see a pattern in the use of a particular descriptive word here? 
  • The tone of the movie fell in between actually being a true, dark take on the Snow White story and still trying to be something you could take kids to see.  I feel like if they had just gone one way or the other with it the film would've turned out better, not good, but better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment