Saturday, June 15, 2013

This is the End

Starring: Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Jonah Hill, Danny McBride, Craig Robinson, James Franco
Directed by: Evan Goldberg & Seth Rogen
Rating: It Was OK

I wasn't really sure what to expect when going into the theater for this movie.  I just knew it was a comedy with a bunch of guys that I typically liked.  I'm not the biggest fan of a lot of the cast, but I do like Rogen and Hill a lot, and I've heard great things about McBride (the only thing I've really ever seen him in is Pineapple Express, which I really enjoyed).

Regardless of the fact that I wasn't sure what I'd see, if you had asked me what I thought wouldn't be in this movie, I could've given you a list.  About 50% of the things that were included in the film would've been on that list.

The Good:

  • This movie definitely had moments that made me laugh.  One back-and-forth between Franco and McBride in particular had me laughing for a good few minutes.  
  • The whole cast had great chemistry together, which isn't hard to understand since they're all friends in real life.  
  • Before "the end" happens, we get to see some excellent cameos from people like Paul Rudd, Jason Seagal, Emma Watson (who looks awesome in this movie...more so than usual), Kevin Hart, and a pretty funny appearance from Michael Cera.  
  • The SFX in this movie were pretty good.  A lot of the shots we see the FX in were pretty dark, and I think that helped them blend in pretty well, but still, everything looked pretty awesome.  
  • The jabs everyone is taking at one another's body of work are hilarious.  
The Bad: 
  • I'm a fan of comedy, but I can only take it to a point.  There's a line that you can't cross with me in the direction of over-the-top, ridiculous comedy, and this movie crossed it toward the end.  If you're into that kind of thing, you'll love it.  
The Ugly: 
  • The next to last scene shows a little more than I was prepared to see, and it really held no humor since that line of jokes had been driven into the ground by that point in the film.  

No comments:

Post a Comment