Saturday, July 20, 2013

OFF WEEK - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

I've had to concede to myself that there will be weeks in which I won't have time to update this blog. It's not necessarily because I won't have time to write a review; it's more based on the time, or lack there of, that I have to watch a movie.  I could write and have written in some instances about movies I like but haven't seen recently.  However, when I do that, I tend to not be nearly as motivated in my writing, and the blog suffers.  

In place of writing a crappy review here and there, I've just decided to write a short paragraph for those weeks about a movie that is coming out soon that I'd like to see or a movie I've never seen that I intend to watch as soon as time permits.  Some of these will classics, some will be indies of which you may have never heard, some may will be unreleased titles.  Regardless, it will turn out better than if I just force an entry about something I'm not really motivated to write.


Alright, upon seeing the trailer for this film (that I can't find online), I had no idea it was a remake.  I am a big fan of Danny Kaye's work from the glory days of technicolor.  One of my favorite movies from that time is The Court Jester, an excellent showing of Kaye's comedy talents.  He was also a talented singer and dancer.  With that in mind...

Ben Stiller is one of my least favorite actors...ever...  I don't necessarily dislike him as a person, because he always seems OK in interviews (i.e. above), but he always plays the same, over-the-top, ridiculous, yelling-at-everyone character.  I do have to note that I enjoyed The Watch and Night at the Museum, but that was mainly because Stiller was playing a different character.  I can't get on board with his usual fair.  

In the trailer for this movie, though, he seems different.  Walter Mitty may very well be to Ben Stiller what Harold Crick was for Will Ferrell.  I had enjoyed some of Ferrell's other work, but again, like Stiller, most of it was over the top.  When he played Crick in Stranger Than Fiction, I had new-found respect for him.  I'm hoping that's the way this turns out, too.

Update: The trailer has been released on YouTube: 


No comments:

Post a Comment