Saturday, March 8, 2014

OFF WEEK - Annie (2014)

I've had to concede to myself that there will be weeks in which I won't have time to update this blog. It's not necessarily because I won't have time to write a review; it's more based on the time, or lack there of, that I have to watch a movie.  I could write and have written in some instances about movies I like but haven't seen recently.  However, when I do that, I tend to not be nearly as motivated in my writing, and the blog suffers.  

In place of writing a crappy review here and there, I've just decided to write a short paragraph for those weeks about a movie that is coming out soon that I'd like to see or a movie I've never seen that I intend to watch as soon as time permits.  Some of these will classics, some will be indies of which you may have never heard, some may will be unreleased titles.  Regardless, it will turn out better than if I just force an entry about something I'm not really motivated to write.


I never really connected with the original film version of Annie as a kid, but I remember watching it a couple of times. I just watched the trailer for the original film on YouTube to compare it to this one, and even though I wasn't a huge fan of the original, I think it will be hard to duplicate, particularly in the area of characters. 

I think Jamie Foxx will pull off his role just fine, and I'm sure most of the other actors in less important roles will be good. My main concern is in the title role and seeing Cameron Diaz portray Ms. Hannigan. Carol Burnett has some big shoes to fill, especially in this iconic role. Just from the trailer, I don't know that Diaz has that spark. Furthermore, I can't see this capturing the musical magic that the original did more than thirty years ago. Maybe I'm wrong... I kind of hope so. This won't be a theater watch for me, but it's intriguing enough that I will probably give it a shot on home release. 

No comments:

Post a Comment