Saturday, May 7, 2011

Thor

Directed by: Kenneth Branagh
Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman
Rating: Loved It
I’m going to just go ahead and say up front that when I watch movies based on comic series/characters I rarely compare them to the comics because I don’t have the knowledge on the history that some people do.  Now…

I missed my Thursday deadline for this post because I wanted this week to be a review of “Thor”, and of course, it didn’t release until Friday.  I did manage to see a midnight show, and I’m glad I went.  I find it harder and harder to go to the theater the older I get.  I don’t like dealing with the crowds, the inability to pause, the noisy patrons, etc.  So, when I go see a movie, it’s because it’s something I really want to see.  I really wanted to see “Thor”. 

The movie is based up on the comic series of the same name, and is part of the build up to next summer’s Avengers movie that will include the character as well as Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), Incredible Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), and Captain America (Chris Evans) among other classic characters from the Marvel Universe.  I have been a huge fan of this idea since I watched the first Iron Man film.  I’m still a huge fan of the idea now.  I can’t wait to see how it all comes together. 

The story here focuses around Thor’s banishment from Asgard to Earth for his defiance of Odin, his father and king.  While he is on Earth, Thor’s brother Loki attempts to gain control of Asgard by becoming the favorite son.  Loki uses several different forms of deception in his plan.

During his time among the mortals, Thor meets Jane Foster (Portman), a scientist studying the phenomena of the Einstein/Rosen Bridge – I won’t bore you with the scientific facts that I don’t fully understand anyway.  It’s basically the connecting bridge between the nine realms in the Asgardian's beliefs.  Thor explains that where he comes from magic and science are one in the same.  Thor must prove himself worthy to have the source of his powers – the mythical Mjollnir which has also been sent to Earth – returned to him.  Until that time, he is but a mortal himself.  There is a much deeper story here for family, loyalty and betrayal if you want to dig in to find it.

The movie is well cast as all the Marvel titles of recent years have been.  I can’t imagine anyone else portraying Odin quite like Anthony Hopkins.  Supporting roles by Kat Dennings (whose character felt a little forced into the script but was still covered by Dennings well) and Stellan Skarsgard were very good.  We get to see Agent Coulson (Clark Gregg) in a larger role than his previous appearances.  I was disappointed that Rene Russo who hasn’t appeared in a role since 2005’s “Yours, Mine and Ours” didn’t have a larger part as Frigga, Thor’s mother. 

The movie was funny and action packed as it should be.  It was filled with CGI, but I don’t mind that much, especially since you can’t quite film on location in Asgard or create much of the spectacles that are in the film through any other means.  The screenwriters did a great job putting such a large back story into a two hour film and crafting a character that will be a great addition to The Avengers.  More of the movie than I expected took place in Asgard as well and centered around the Norse mythology of Thor.  It was a pleasant surprise.  You really get away from the tech aspect of “Iron Man” and “The Incredible Hulk” with this film.  Where Tony Stark and Bruce Banner derive their powers from science, Thor’s powers come from somewhere else...or at least a more mystical science.

The only real let down for me was the 3D experience.  I didn’t realize until I got to the theater that the movie was in 3D.  I am a firm believer that a movie in 3D should be an extra experience we get when it’s really going to make an impact.  It shouldn’t just be thrown into every movie being released.  This felt like the case with “Thor”.  There weren’t any spectacular shots that made me think “wow, I’m glad that was in 3D”.  So, I’m not necessarily sad the 3D wasn’t better; I actually could have done without it altogether. 

As far as a theater experience, it’s a good one.  I would definitely recommend this movie to just about anybody that enjoys a good movie, and I would insist on it for anyone that is a comic fan.  If there’s a showing close by that’s not in 3D, save the extra $2.50 or $3.00 and catch that one. 



No comments:

Post a Comment