Saturday, April 30, 2011

Invterview with a Vampire

Starring: Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Kirsten Dunst, Christian Slater
Directed by: Neil Jordan
Rating (0 to 10): 4.0

I am very aware that this is one of those movies that everybody is supposed to see.  It’s got a great cast and a good story.  It’s a classy horror flick, one that actually gets good ratings by the “professional” critics.  It was nominated for two Oscars (Best Art Direction-Set Decoration & Best Music , Original Score) neither of which it won.  It won sixteen other awards from various organizations.  It has a huge following online, and more positive ratings and reviews than I can count. 

I still didn’t care for it at all. 

I don’t know what the real draw to this film is.  Pitt and Cruise seem to be completely overdoing everything they do.  Dunst isn’t bad considering she was only twelve years old at the time.  I was really disappointed with Antonio Banderas because I really like him, but he too was just not on it in this film. 

I suppose it may have something to do with the dreamy actors of the time holding the starring roles.  It may have to do with the attraction to vampire mythos.  It may be a combination of the two.  I suppose this was the Twilight (another movie for which I care nothing) of its time.  It did win several awards at the MTV Movie Awards, and to me, that says a lot. 

The story in itself is good.  I like the idea of vampire having to seek for his heritage because it isn’t as prominently displayed as one might consider it to be.  I like the idea of the interview of him telling the story.  I like the vampire character that doesn’t want to have to kill people.  My likes for this movie stop there though. 

I’ve already mentioned the acting.  I didn’t like the cinematography.  I didn’t care for the lack of information on the vampire lore.  I didn’t care for the makeup or costumes.  I just really didn’t care for this movie at all. 

I’m sure there will be lots of people that disagree with me, but I say, if you want to watch something romantic or a movie that is a period piece, just do it.  If you want a vampire movie, catch some Bram Stroker. 



No comments:

Post a Comment