Saturday, September 24, 2011

Contagion

Starring: Matt Damon, Kate Winslet, Jude Law, Laurence Fishburne
Directed by: Steven Soderbergh
Rating: Didn't Like It

I am a huge, huge fan of the apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic movie genres.  I love the idea of mankind having to survive without all the things we've come accustomed to in our day-to-day lives.  The Postman, The Road, Dawn of the Dead...all of these movies have a special place on my favorites list.  With that said, this film was not what I was hoping for in that genre.   

Contagion is about a virus that springs up and is carried to the United States by an American woman on business in Japan.  The virus kills quickly, and we have no cure.  We don't even know what it is.  All of the different health organizations around the globe are trying to figure it out before it's to late to save us.  

This movie almost plays like a documentary, lingering to long on the science of the disease and not spending enough time on the effects it's having on the people in the story.  I was really lost in several parts where the scientific/medial terminology was just way over my head.  

I was hoping for a lot more from such a strong cast, too.  Each person played their role well, but there wasn't enough of any one actor.  The idea of an ensemble cast is great on paper, but very few films have pulled it off well.  

I usually don't say this about movies, but I just thought this one was kind of boring.  

No comments:

Post a Comment