Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Rite

I'm trying to work out a new system for rating movies.  I want to list the good parts, the bad parts and the ugly parts of each film.  I think this will be the format from now on (until I find something better that is) for the movie reviews.

Starring: Anthony Hopkins, Colin O'Donoghue
Directed by: Mikael Hafstrom
Rating: I Liked It

The Good:

  • Anthony Hopkins is genius in any film he does.  He doesn't have to be in a great film.  He can make his role great even if the rest of the pieces suck.  In a recent interview with EW, Brad Pitt spoke about playing opposite Hopkins in Meet Joe Black.  Pitt said how off he was on the part, but Hopkins never missed a beat.  I've never seen him miss one either.  To see Hopkins play this role the way he did, I truly believe he could play any role.  
  • Colin O'Donoghue was really surprising for me.  I'd never seen this actor in anything else, but I was pleasantly surprised.  I even looked him up on IMDB afterward.  I still don't recognize anything else of which he's been a part.  
  • It was nice to see a different spin on the traditional "exorcism" film.  
  • I really liked seeing this student priest questioning religion.  
  • This movie definitely holds the creepy factor up.  It even made me jump...twice.  
The Bad: 
  • The movie was a little slow to get around to the "scary" stuff, but it was a good story that was being told.  
  • There were lots of interesting secondary roles of which I would like to have seen more.  
The Ugly:
  • I made a comment above about how this was a different take on the traditional "exorcism" film; however, I would like to have seen some more from the gore department during the actual exorcisms.  If you go back to The Exorcist, you really can't make something more gory than that, especially for its time.  I do wish that - POSSIBLE SPOILER - seeing the possessed regurgitate nails wasn't the worst thing in the film.  I don't necessarily want to see pea soup being projectile vomited, but something a little more graphic would have been nice.  
  • This movie definitely could've used a more attractive, talented female lead.  Ciaran Hinds just wasn't that great at all.  


No comments:

Post a Comment