Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Man Who Knew Too Little

Starring: Bill Murray, Joanne Whalley, Peter Gallagher
Direct by: Jon Amiel
Rating: An Adam Favorite

This is one of my throwback weeks.  I haven't seen anything new recently.  Between keeping up with Dexter, Person of Interest, Terra Nova, HIMYM and An American Horror Story, I honestly haven't watched any new movies.  When that happens, I usually revert to writing about one of my favorites.

This is one of Murray's lesser known works, and that's a shame.  This is such classic Murray and comedy that I really hate more people haven't seen it.  This puts Murray in the position of "accidental spy".  Murray plays Wallace Ritchie who pays an unexpected early visit to his brother James (Gallagher).  In order to get rid of his less than successful brother during a big work dinner at his home, James sends Wallace out on an acting adventure: Theater of Life.  The general idea is that you get to play out a scenario where you're a spy.  The problem is, Wally receives a phone call intended for a real hit man.  From there on out, Murray takes control.

The Good:

  • Bill...Fing...Murray!  
  • The rest of the cast is good, too.  Alfred Molina plays a great comedic assassin role.  Gallagher is great as the aggravated but caring brother.  Whalley plays the bond-girlesque sidekick dead on target.  Overall, I couldn't ask for more in the way of casting.  
  • The running gag or two (other than the main plot point that's a running gag in itself) that they put in here work really, really well.  
  • I like that this is mostly a family flick.  I don't know that kids would appreciate the humor in it, but they might. 
The Bad: 
  • I don't really have anything bad to say about this movie.  All-in-all, I think it's just good all around.  
The Ugly: 
  • Obviously...nothing after my last statement.  
This movie is so little known that I can't find a trailer for it anywhere on YouTube except for this one which is obviously an ad for it airing on TV.  I did find that it's available to watch in its entirety on YouTube in eight parts.  You should definitely check it out.  


No comments:

Post a Comment