Saturday, April 14, 2012

Cabin in the Woods

Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Kristen Connolly, Richard Jenkins, Gradley Whitford
Directed by: Drew Goddard
Rating: I Liked It

This is NOT your basic "kids get killed in the woods" horror flick.  It appears that way in the first trailers, the teasers, but even the more recent trailers hint at something more going on behind the scenes.  I'm not going to spoil anything here, but that means that this review is going to be kind of short.

The movie is really two parts: one part comedy, one part horror flick.  Both parts are equally awesome, and they even work well together.  I wish I could explain how without giving things away.  I really did laugh quite a bit.  I wouldn't say that there was any point where I was really scared, but it's definitely in line with the more recent slasher flicks out there.

The Good:

  • This is a whole new twist on this genre of movie, very innovative.  
  • I like a movie that can, in a way, satirize its own genre.  
  • Jenkins is great as usual.  The first thing I ever saw that I really like him in was Eddie, and I've seen lots of things since then that I like him in a lot as well.  He's right up there on my list with J.K. Simmons on under appreciated actors.  
  • The FX were good all around in this one.  The gore to the tech all looked just as it should.  
  • A special cameo, which kind of came out of nowhere, was kind of cool, but it was also unexpected.  
The Bad: 
  • Looking at this from a horror standpoint, the death scenes weren't all that imaginative.  
  • About fifteen or twenty minutes from the end, things got a little ridiculous for me.  
  • The ending left me wanting to see THAT movie, you know the story that would follow, and that will never get made probably.  
The Ugly: 
  • I wouldn't say anything was ugly, but I almost put my comment about the ridiculous part under this heading and decided better of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment