Saturday, December 7, 2013

OFF WEEK - The Amazing Spider-Man 2

I've had to concede to myself that there will be weeks in which I won't have time to update this blog. It's not necessarily because I won't have time to write a review; it's more based on the time, or lack there of, that I have to watch a movie.  I could write and have written in some instances about movies I like but haven't seen recently.  However, when I do that, I tend to not be nearly as motivated in my writing, and the blog suffers.  

In place of writing a crappy review here and there, I've just decided to write a short paragraph for those weeks about a movie that is coming out soon that I'd like to see or a movie I've never seen that I intend to watch as soon as time permits.  Some of these will classics, some will be indies of which you may have never heard, some may will be unreleased titles.  Regardless, it will turn out better than if I just force an entry about something I'm not really motivated to write.



There are a couple of other movies that I'm pretty interested in seeing and that are more intriguing than the sequel to the Spider-Man reboot, and I'm sure I'll get to them over the next few weeks; however, I'd be remiss if I didn't include this in one of my off weeks. 

Despite the fact that I can't imagine Jamie Foxx playing Electro, I'm still pretty stoked about this movie. I thought the reboot was a great starting point that took a look back deeper into the character's origins, not just how Peter Parker becomes Spider-Man, but also how the events around him shape his life and decisions, creating the personality the superhero and his alter ego will share. We started with his first love interest instead of jumping into the longer-lasting, more popular, later interest, Mary Jane Watson. We also got to see him interact with one of his greatest foes, Kurt Connors, AKA the Lizard, a character only hinted at in Sam Raimi's trilogy. Plus, I loved the idea of great power and great responsibility being implied without it actually being said. 

I think the second film has the potential to live up to the first. The trailer shows us lots of action, lots of recognizable villains, and some pretty good acting, too. My only fear is that there are too many villains being crammed into one film. I'm pretty sure that in this trailer, we see Rhino, and I'm positive we're gonna get Harry Osborn and Electro. Hopefully, the film will work them all in there appropriately and smoothly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment