Saturday, March 29, 2014

Muppets Most Wanted

Starring: Rickey Gervais, Ty Burrell, Tina Fey, The Muppets
Directed by: James Bobin
Rating: It Was OK

I was pretty happy with The Muppets, and I have been a fan of the character group for years. This time around, though, maybe because I'm older or maybe because the characters have changed, I didn't feel they captured the same magic they once did.

The Muppets were always a good mix of comedy that appealed to both kids and adults. I can still watch the older Muppet films and enjoy things I didn't notice or didn't understand as a kid. With this newest film, it seemed like there was less of that. The Muppets seemed sillier to me for lack of a better term, a little more ridiculous than in the past. It's almost as if Disney has turned this newest film into another way to sell hundreds of movie themed toys, a merchandise machine.

The plot of the movie was OK. I kind of felt like it was a little to similar to The Great Muppet Caper, but it was different enough to stand on its own. I did like the switching of Kermit for his evil counterpart, Constantine. It's also fun to watch the others come to the realization of the switch.

I'm not a fan of Fey's work, but she was actually pretty good in this movie. This was Ray Liota's second Muppet appearance I can remember; the first was in Muppets from Space. There were several other cameos that were fun, particualary the majority of the prisoners in Russia. Burrell and Gervais were great as always. It was also cool to see Sam Eagle get a larger part.

I can't say a lot of good things about this one, but there's not a lot of negative aspects either. It was really just OK. I definltely wouldn't recommend theater prices for this movie, but if your'e a fan of the Muppets or you want to introduce them to the younger generation, this would be a good way to do it. Oh, yes, one last comment. The songs in the movie were not nearly up to par with those from the past in my opinion, and that's always been one of the best parts of these films.

No comments:

Post a Comment