Saturday, April 5, 2014

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Starring: Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Redford, Sebastian Stan, Anthony Mackie, Cobie Smulders
Directed by: Anthony & Joe Russo
Rating: An Adam Favorite

When I saw Iron Man 3, the first movie in Marvel's phase two, I knew we were in for some big things. After seeing Thor: The Dark World, I was still impressed, but decided that maybe I shouldn't expect the movies to keep getting better and better. After seeing Winter Soldier, I can't imagine what could be better. I'm still excited to see what Marvel does with Guardians of the Galaxy, but this latest Captain America installment has set the bar pretty high.

Everything about this movie fell right into place. The twist of finding out who the Winter Soldier really is, even for people who already knew, was amazing to watch. The underlying story that surrounded SHIELD was just strong enough to be interesting, but it didn't overshadow the main plot. All of the casting was terrific as usual. There was humor, amazing action sequences, a rousing speech by Cap, inclusion of Black Widow who got more well-deserved screen time...just wow. It was just all great.

There were a couple of scenes in particular that really made this a home run. Being a SHIELD movie, we got to see a lot of action from SHIELD operatives. Black Widow was one I mentioned already, but we also got to see some more action from Nick Fury. Jackson was great as the character as usual. The car chase scene he's involved in is great. It's something completely different than what you usually expect in a chase sequence. Smulders also got a cool scene or two as Maria Hill.

The introduction of new characters was good, too. I'm interested to see what, if anything, is done with the new potential villain introduced in the film. Falcon was great, especially the way they made his "powers" a little more realistic than in the comics. I'm sure we'll be seeing the Winter Soldier again at some point in the future. Even the name drops that happened in the film got me excited for what's to come, especially the mention of Stephen Strange.

If you do go see the movie in theaters, be sure to stay for the mid-credits and after-credits scenes. The mid-credit one is the big reveal of something to come, but the after-credit scene is something cool, too. It's really hard to talk about the movie much more than I have without getting into any spoilers, and really, I'm just going on about how much I enjoyed it anyway. It's by far my favorite Marvel movie so far, possibly next to The Avengers, maybe even better than that. GO SEE IT! I might see it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment