Saturday, April 19, 2014

OFF WEEK - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)

I've had to concede to myself that there will be weeks in which I won't have time to update this blog. It's not necessarily because I won't have time to write a review; it's more based on the time, or lack there of, that I have to watch a movie.  I could write and have written in some instances about movies I like but haven't seen recently.  However, when I do that, I tend to note nearly as motivated in my writing, and the blog suffers.  

In place of writing a crappy review here and there, I've just decided to write a short paragraph for those weeks about a movie that is coming out soon that I'd like to see or a movie I've never seen that I intend to watch as soon as time permits.  Some of these will classics, some will be indies of which you may have never heard, some may will be unreleased titles.  Regardless, it will turn out better than if I just force an entry about something I'm not really motivated to write.



This movie was in my most anticipated movie list from the first of the year, but I honestly didn't know a lot about it at the time. There were lots of rumors and some production pictures, but overall, there wasn't a lot of confirmed information. One of the big things people were upset about was the turtle origin story. 

Producer Michael Bay had suggested that the turtles were going to be aliens. While the ooze that created the turtles has been alien in origin in a couple of incarnations, the turtles themselves have always been from Earth. This had people all worked up, and I wasn't too happy about it. I had also seen some production pictures that had the actors in green-screen suits with HUGE shells on their backs. This was a little unnerving, too. Now that the trailer is out and available, I'm pretty happy with the end result of the look of the turtles. 

I'm still really excited for this movie regardless of any specific detail I might not be on board with 100%. I'm happy to get a TMNT movie, and it's awesome to see that these characters that I grew up with still capture the imagination of kids today. While this movie won't be perfect - I don't know that anyone could make a perfect TMNT at this point with the level of expectation we all have - it is a TMNT movie coming to the big screen. Let's just be happy about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment